Today I had to troubleshoot some issues a client had with the reporting services within a Dynamics CRM 2011 environment. Connecting to the Report server url was no problem, but connecting to the Report manager url was not successful.
The deployment of CRM 2011 and SSRS was a Scale-Out Deployment, which means that there are several things that need to be in place in order to have a successful deployment.
This that need to be checked are:
- Create a DNS A-record for the NLB VIP Address.
- Check in the SSRS Configuration Manager if both SSRS nodes are joined.
- Check if both SSRS nodes have the same machine key in the web.config file on the following locations: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager\Web.config & \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\web.config
- Check if both SSRS nodes have a Hostname configured in the web.config file on the following location: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config
- Configure BackConnectionHostNames.
- Reboot both services after the above changes.
I will not jump into details about the exact configuration of these steps, because this has already been blogged and can be found here: http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2335/scale-out-sql-server-2008-r2-reporting-services-farm-using-nlb-part-1/